top of page

History of John Hope Settlement House


John Hope Settlement House is a community based organization that grew from a vision of public

spirited African American leaders to serve their neighbors in the late 1920’s. First known as the

Crispus Attucks Association, the agency was reorganized in 1937 and named the John Hope

Community Association in honor of the late John Hope. Hope was an alumnus of Brown University

and the first African American President of Morehouse College in Atlanta, GA. Hope was among the

founders of the NAACP.


In 1939 the founding Articles of Incorporation of the John Hope Community Association set a clear

path for the generations to come: “Said corporation is constituted for the purpose of developing

and maintaining civic, cultural and recreational interests to serve all ages and both sexes and to

direct character building and community betterment programs among the citizens of Providence;

aiming to merit the support of the civic welfare, educational and municipal agencies of the City in

the development of its objectives and program. It shall promote opportunities and facilities, not to

exclude any group…”

After its incorporation the Association purchased a building at 15 Pratt Street. With the combined efforts of the Workers Progress Administration (WPA) and John Hope members, this building was renovated and an educational and recreational program was established. In 1942, the WPA terminated its use of the building which left the John Hope Community Association without a staff, proper facilities, or adequate funds to maintain programs. In response, the board of directors launched an emergency fund campaign wherein sufficient money was raised to employ a director and continue the center’s work.

Following this public appeal for funds, new programs were established to include a nursery, music, arts and crafts as well as recreation. Some funding was provided by the local USO to provide recreation for servicemen. Shortly after the military recreation program was discontinued in 1943, the John Hope Community Association became a member agency of the Providence Community Fund. This enabled the Association to obtain a trained recreational worker. In 1945 it was discovered that the frame building used as the recreational center was inadequate and even dangerous. As a result, the Association leased the former USO Knight Street Center located in the West End neighborhood from the City of Providence. In 1946, the Association purchased the building and shortly thereafter purchased the land directly behind it as a play area.

Throughout the ensuing years the John Hope facility has grown to over 25,000 square feet of space. We house one of the largest child care centers in Rhode Island, and are home to an NCAA regulation gymnasium, two large multi-function rooms, a computer lab, educational classrooms, a teaching kitchen and a youth lounge. Today over ten thousand people seek our services or utilize our facilities each year.


The History of Crispus Attucks as a Man

Historians know little about Crispus Attucks, and they have constructed accounts of his life more

from speculation than facts. Most documents described his ancestry as African and American

Indian. His father, Prince Yonger, is thought to have been a slave brought to America from Africa

and that his mother, Nancy Attucks, was a Natick Indian. The family, which may have included an

older sister named Phebe, lived in Framingham, Massachusetts.

Apparently, young Attucks developed a longing for freedom at an early age. According to The Black

Presence in the Era of the American Revolution,historians believe that an advertisement placed in

the Boston Gazette on October 2, 1750, referred to him: “Ran away from his Master William Brown

from Framingham, on the 30th of Sept. last, a Molatto Fellow, about 27 Years of age, named Crispas,

6 Feet two Inches high, short curl’d Hair, his Knees nearer together than common: had on a light

colour’d Bearskin Coat.”

The owner offered a reward of ten pounds for the return of the slave and warned ship captains against giving him refuge. Biographers believe that Attucks escaped to Nantucket, Massachusetts, and sailed as a harpooner on a whaling ship. Some writers proposed that he was using the name Michael Johnson.

Attucks’ occupation made him particularly vulnerable to the presence of the British. As a seaman, he felt the ever-present danger of impressment into the British navy. As a laborer, he felt the competition from British troops, who often took part-time jobs during their off-duty hours and worked for lower wages. Historians definitely place Attucks in Boston in March of 1770. Assuming that the Boston Gazette advertisement did refer to him, he would have been about 47-years old.

A fight between Boston rope makers and three British soldiers on Friday, March 2, 1770 set the stage for a later confrontation. After dusk on Monday, March 5, 1770, a crowd of colonists confronted a sentry who had struck a boy for complaining that an officer was late in paying a barber bill. As anger escalated, a church bell rang, which drew people out of their homes. The British soldiers of the 29th Regiment of Foot were called to duty. In turn, townspeople responded by hurling snowballs and debris at the soldiers. A group of men led by Attucks approached the vicinity of the government building with clubs in hand. Violence soon erupted, and a soldier was struck with a thrown piece of wood. Some accounts named Attucks as the person responsible. Other witnesses stated that Attucks was “leaning upon a stick” when the soldiers opened fire.

Five Americans were killed and six were wounded in what came to be called the Boston Massacre. Attucks was the first one killed; he took two bullets in the chest. Rope maker Samuel Gray and sailor James Caldwell also died in the incident. Samuel Maverick, a 17-year-old joiner’s apprentice, died the next day. Irish leather worker Patrick Carr died nine days later. Attucks’ body was carried to Faneuil Hall, where it lay in state until Thursday, March 8, when he and the other victims were buried together.

Martin Luther King, Jr., referred to Crispus Attucks in the introduction of Why We Can’t Wait (1964) as an example of a man whose contribution to history, though much-overlooked by standard histories, provided a potent message of moral courage.

In an unsourced book that appealed to a wide audience, James Neyland wrote his appraisal of Attucks’s significance:

He is one of the most important figures in African-American history, not for what he did for his own race but for what he did for all oppressed people everywhere. He is a reminder that the African-American heritage is not only African but American and it is a heritage that begins with the beginning of America.

Crispus Attucks became the first casualty of the American Revolution when he was shot and killed. Although Attucks was credited as the leader and instigator of the event, debate raged for over a century as to whether he was a hero and a patriot, or a rabble-rousing villain. The debate notwithstanding, Attucks, immortalized as “the first to defy, the first to die,” has been lauded as a true martyr, “the first to pour out his blood as a precious libation on the altar of a people’s rights.”

bottom of page